Friday, July 23, 2010

Doctor visit and Herceptin treatment

Psalm 118: 24 This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.

I wrote this yesterday but somehow I lost all that I wrote so am redoing it today. I was too tired yesterday to redo it then. Anyway, I went to the onocologist this past Monday. Talked with his nurse practioner too. My heart test that I had a couple of weeks ago was great. Shows that my heart hasn't changed at all from the first one which is great news. However, I did have a disappointment. I was hoping to have my port taken out after the last herceptin treatment which is on August 9. But, the doctor says I have to wait until I have a CT Scan of my abdomen, pelvis, and chest which won't be done until mid October. Then I see the doctor again on Oct. 20. If the CT Scan is good, no cancer evident, then I can have the port taken out. That means I have to continue taking coumadin for a few more months...oh, well....that is okay. Since I won't be having any treatments in Sept. or Oct., I will have to go to the chemo clinic to have a heparin flush to keep the port working. Heparin is a blood thinner and is use to keep lines open. They flush with heparin after each of my treatments. Guess I will be having surgery in Novemeber to have the port taken out (at least I hope). I talked to the nurse practioner about my joint stiffness. She says it is mainly from chemo. Could be some from getting older and some early arthritis but mainly from chemo. I have the joint stiffness mainly in the morning when I get up, when I get out of a chair, and especially when I get out of the car. I am sure people laugh at me when I go to Walmart or some store, and can't even stand up straight when I get out of the car. I must look like a old woman....lol.

I also had my herceptin treatment after seeing the doctor. It was going well which was good for I needed to hurry because I was babysitting that afternoon. Well, I had a float nurse who doesn't usually work there. My medicaton quit infusing but my nurse was starting an IV on a patient. Most patients have ports but once in a while, someone needs an IV started. Well, my nurse had trouble so I couldn't get her to fix my medicatin and wouldn't you know, the other nurse was also starting an IV. Then my nurse took off (maybe to lunch) so it was over 30 minutes before I could get someone to fix my medication. I was frustrated for it only takes 3o mintues for my medication to infuse and here it was....an extra 30 minutes. Usually it wouldn't bother me but that day I was in a hurry...oh, well....there was nothing I could do. I just have one more treatment left. Yea!!!

My hair is looking pretty good these days. I am getting used to short hair...um..maybe I should keep it short. Ummm....lol. We'll see...I am just happy to have hair. That was one of the hardest things about my cancer. For a woman, that is hard. Thanks to all for you love and interest in how I am doing. Thanks for your prayers. Love you all..

Psalm 118:28-29 You are my God, and I will give you thanks; you are my God, and I will exalt you. Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever.

No comments: