Saturday, May 29, 2010

Relay for Life

Lamentations 3:58 O Lord, you took up my case; you redeemed my life.

Last week, I participated in our town's relay for life. It was a very awesome and emotional experience for me. When I was walking the survivor lap which was the first lap, people just kept clapping and clapping the whole time we were walking. I would say that about half way around, I got quite teary eyed. It was neat to think, yes, we survived and these people are clapping for us as we've been victorious in this battle!!!! I just can't describe exactly what I was feeling. I just praise God for allowing me to be here today. As we finished our lap, we had balloons and let go of them....so cool to see all those balloons up in the air. Our caregivers joined us as we walked the 2nd lap. Larry and I walked hand in hand. I am so thankful that Larry was there to care for me throughout my battle. Wish my kids had been there too for they helped care for me along with my sister and mom. I walked the 3rd lap too with my friend, Teresa. Everyone was invited to walk that 3rd lap. Teresa was walking with her team until 9 pm so I would get off and rest then rejoin her and a team mate. I walked 7 laps. There was a tent in the middle of the field for survivors that had free food for us ....fruit, muffins, and cookies plus water and other drinks. That was so sweet of them. We stayed until about 10 pm....needed to go home for we left to go to San Antonio the next morning to see my nephew, Chris, graduate from high school !!!

This past week, I've struggled with fatigue. I don't know if the heat has made it worse or what but it has been hard on some days. Not so bad today though. Also, I've noticed the numbness I have in my toes more. I noticed it when my chemo was finishing (it is a side effect from chemo) but didn't notice it so much during the winter. Maybe it was because I was wearing enclosed shoes all the time whereas I am now barefoot or in sandals or flip flops. It really feels weird.

My hair is growing so slow. I even notice that the hair on my legs and underarms grow slow too. I don't shave often like I used to before chemo. Wonder if the cancer pill I take causes it to slow down. Should investigate that one. Also, the numbness in my left upper breast seems more noticeable ....drives me crazy sometimes at night. I know , that sounds weird but that is the way it is. I just have to live with it .......:). It's okay....I am happy to be here and it's not painful so no reason to complain or worry about it. It's just a part of my 'new' life. I am looking forward to this summer since last summer I was going through chemo and missed out on 'summer' in some ways. I am enjoying "gardening" and just look forward to spending time with friends, etc. I have a little part time job--taking my neighbor's kids to the swimming pool. There are big shade trees there so I will sit underneath those trees and try to stay cool. I don't plan to get in the pool though. Hope everyone is having a great weekend. In fact, last Memorial Day, I was in the hospital with a blood clot in my shoulder area behind my port. Wow, it's nearly been a year when that happened. That is when I started taking coumadin.

Love you all......thanks for your concerns and love and prayers. Let me know if I can pray for you!!!

James 5:16 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.

No comments: