Friday, February 5, 2010

cancer markers

Matthew 11:28-30 Come to me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.

I've not had any more headaches but still at times have a pain or tenderness in my left breast. Have just a little stiffness--more so this morning than the previous days. But no real side effects from Arimidex yet. I am so glad. I know it's only been a few days so I have to wait to see for sure about the side effects.

Yesterday evening I went to the Survivor Sister meeting (our breast cancer support group) and my onocologist was the speaker. He talked about cancer markers that are tested by blood. I knew I was having this test performed and that my results were good but really didn't know what it all meant. It is not a diagnostic test but hopefully some day there will be one like the PSA is for prostate cancer. But what this test can show is: if your cancer is coming back, it can give clues. Each person's level is different so that is why it can't be a diagnostic test. So, it is used only for breast cancer (there are similar tests for other cancers) patients. He likes to test before treatments and then he will test again after treatments are complete. Then he will test each time you see him (usually 4 times a year when treatments are done until 5 years have gone by--then once a year) . What he looks for in the test is whether your level stays about the same and if it rises significantly, then that is a clue that something is going on. So, then other tests are performed like CT Scans, bone scans, etc. It was very interesting to me so I was happy that I went to the meeting. There is a younger lady who is a school teacher in a small town nearby that started her chemo a couple of weeks after me. She never wore wigs but always a hat. Yesterday she came in with nothing and her hair is just a bit longer than mine. She looked nice and everyone was complimenting her on her hair. I just don't think I look nice with such short hair yet. I have such big ears. lol. Would like for it to grow a bit longer. Our group is going to do a scrapbook to put in the cancer library where my onocologist's office is. We are each to do a page or more and give a testimony. I think I will tell about how the MRI was a lifesaving test for me and how I have the peace of God within me throughout this whole journey. I told the lady who is heading up the scrapbook, that I would help since I scrapbook myself. We might be working on it next month at our meeting. Sounds fun. Thanks for praying for me. I really have appreciated all the prayers and I believe that is why things have gone pretty well for me. Love you all......

Isaiah 58:8-9 Then your light will break froth like the dawn, and your healing will quickly appear; then your righteousness will go before you, and the glory of the Lord will be your rear guard. Then you will call , and the Lord will answer; you will cry for help and he will say: Here am I.

No comments: