Friday, March 5, 2010

Sad news

Isaiah 4:10 So do not fear, for I am with you, do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

In a year's time, my family has had to deal with several people with cancer. We've not dealt with it much in the past except my aunt who died with breast cancer about 1 1/2 years ago. I feel that I've been pretty lucky to have healthy family members and especially healthy parents or so I thought. My dad had been having back pains for about 3 months and lots of tests have been done but nothing came up as to why he had the back pain. Finally his surgeon thought that maybe the many lipomas (fatty benign tumors) on his back was the cause; maybe they are on some nerves. I have lipomas too and once there was one sitting on a nerve in my leg which the doctor removed easily in his office. Well, my dad had surgery and had 25 lipoma's removed. These were just on one side of his back and some on his stomach area. This surgery was done 2 weeks ago. Some of wounds are draining and not healing properly and some are opening up. My stepmom took him in to the ER last Sunday to have an incision stitched up and the nurse noticed the coloring of his skin---yellow. He was juandiced and my stepmom hadn't noticed (they keep their house dark due to low lighting). The ER dr. thought maybe he had a blocked bile duct so a CT scan was scheduled and done on Tuesday. On Wed. they found out that it's not the bile duct nor gallbladder. He has pancreatic cancer!!! That is the worse (or one of the worse) cancers to have for there is no cure and usually people don't live long after being diagnosed. The doctor gave him 2-3 months to live. Of course, no one but God knows when our days are done. This has really hit me hard. They live here and I'm over there quite a bit. We have developed a great relationship over the past 14 years since they've moved here. He has been a good grandfather for my kids. And I get along with my stepmom; she is my friend. I will miss them so much. My dad is having a great attitude about this but worries about what is going to happen to his wife. My stepmom is very dependent on him so this will be very hard but today she seems to have gotten herself in control and is doing better. They are both Christians so will be drawing strength from Him. This will especially be hard for them financially for they have no life insurance, savings, or retirement. He has been working---even went to work last week even though he felt bad. It makes me appreciate the extra money my husband has set aside for life insurance and retirement. Anyway, please pray for us as we say our good-byes and go through this very difficult time. I am the only child here but the others will be coming to see him soon and one son will be here for a couple of weeks to help out. And a daughter will be coming in April but not sure for how long. I know that having cancer is hard enough but having it and dying is even harder. I am thankful that I survived my cancer---wish my dad could too.......oh, well....there is a plan for all of us. He has lived a good life and will have a great time meeting God in heaven. Oh, they celebrate their 42nd wedding anniversary next week. He asked me to buy her a card that he can give her. What an honor...it will be the last card for him to give her...the last anniversary...oh, how sad.

Isaiah 43:2-3 When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the Lord, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.

1 comment:

MAAM said...

I haven't checked your blog in a little while. I'm so sorry to hear this news! i did read the most recent post and am glad you are having some special time and talks with your dad now.

Hugs dear friend!