Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Doctor's visit in San Antonio

Psalm 32:13-14 From heaven the Lord looks down and sees all mankind; from his dwelling place he watches all who live on earth--he forms the hearts of all, who considers everything they do.

On Tuesday, my daughter and I traveled to San Antonio for me to see the radiation onocologist, Dr. West. Before the doctor's visit, we had lunch with my sister at Cracker Barrel--one of my favorite places. I took my 'melted bangs" wig with me in case I decided to wear it with a headband since this will my last time to see them so why confuse them but my daughter and sister convinced me to wear the new wig. Usually when you go in, they see you and recognize you and they send a message to the back that you are here without you ever having to stop at the desk to say you are here. Well, the secretary was on the phone when I walked in so when she got off, I told her who I was in case she didnt' recognize me. She said that she knew my face seemed familiar but didn't know it was me. lol. My favorite radiation tech came out to get another patient and she saw me and recognized me. I didn't get to say goodbye to her when I had my last treatment for she was off so we talked later and I got to hug her and say goodbye. I told her and the nurse about my other wig and they had a good laugh. In fact, the nurse looked at me and said with a smile "that is so funny". It took forever for me to get to see the dr. for he had decided to see a patient in the hospital and got caught by the family members. He apologized several times about making me wait so long. He said my skin looked like it was healing just fine and that eventually it will look all normal again. I don't have to go see him again. The nurse told me that she had worried about me with my fair skin so was happy that my skin did so well. While waiting for the doctor, I read a magazine called "Cure" which is about cancer and it's free for cancer patients and survivors so I took a card for I am thinking of subscribing to it. I read an article about Herceptin which is a medication I am taking. They talked about the side effects and I am lucky not to experience hardly any of them --the only one might be fatigue for I am tired alot. They say that after having chemo, radiation, etc. that you can experience fatigue for months or even years. Oh, great.....

On Friday, I am to have an echo cardiogram which is just a sound wave of my heart to be sure that the Herceptin is not causing any heart damage. That is a side effect of Herceptin. So far, my heart has been healthy and I bet it is still healthy. Well, thanks for your support and prayers. Love you.

Matthew 11:28 Come to me all you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest.

No comments: