Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Chemo Day 1

Psalm 121:1-3 I lift up my eyes to the hills--Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of Heaven and Earth. He will not let your foot slip--he who watches over you will not slumber, the Lord will keep you from all harm--he will watch over your life.

Today has been a long day. I took chemo treatment #5 which means only 3 left. However, I am on a new chemo and cancer medication so things are different. First, because it was new, they gave the medications extra slow to see if I would have any bad reactions. I got to the chemo room around 10:30 am and left at 4:45 pm!!!! Over 6 hours!!!! If I had known I was to be there so long, I would have taken my computer!!! Anyway, I had no reactions which is great. Also, this new chemo--Taxol--usually doesn't drop your white blood cells too much so that means the doctor decided not to give me the neulasta shot this time to see how I do!!! Yea!! I am praying that the white blood cells do not drop. I will have a blood test on Monday. I am taking Herceptin which is not chemo but a cancer medication and I found out today that I am to take it weekly until I am done with Taxol (on Oct. 13) then it will be taken every 3 weeks. And I have to have blood drawn every time before I take Herceptin so I will be going there alot!!!! Yikes --I wasn't too thrilled on that but I will do what needs to be done. Luckily, my boys are big enough to do most of their homeschooling on their own. It only takes 30 minutes to take the Herceptin but will probably be there an hour for it takes time to start IV solution and to get the meds. and it takes me 30 minutes to drive there so that will be 2 hours each Tuesday and has to be done in the morning.

So, you are wondering how I am doing with the new meds. Praise the Lord, so far things are going great. NO nausea or vomiting. The nurse has encouraged me to change the way I take my anti-nausea meds too so I've not had hardly any today except what they gave me in the IV. I even ate dinner(Molly brought us some yummy dinner) which is a first!!! I was really tired though for they do give me Benadryl in the IV but usually I don't fall asleep but fight it for I am visiting with people but this time with Larry there, I dozed off. I did have a friend come, Heather, and I did visit and she and Sarah(I was texting Sarah at the time) thought I was probably dopey for I was acting very, very sleepy and not always making sense. lol. Another side effect is that Taxol can cause problems with the nervous system in extremities and I am experiencing some numbness in left fingers and palm. Weird feeling but it's okay. There might be achiness too but so far I've not had any. My throat is a tad bit sore so I hope it doesn't get worse. They say that Taxol also makes you lose hair like eyebrows, eyelashes, etc. I hope I don't lose those hair but we'll see, might take time according to my online support group. Yikes!!! Anyway, thank you for your prayers. This has been the best chemo day so far and I hope it continues to go well. Your prayers have been answered. Love you all.
Nahum 1:7 The Lord is good, a refuge in times of trouble, He cares for those who trust in Him.

No comments: