Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Radiation day 6

Psalm 4:1 Answer me when I call to you, O my righteous God. Give me relief from my distress, be merciful to me and hear my prayer.

I was emotional today or something for I was quite sensitive and had my feelings hurt by my 'favorite' nurse at radiation. I got there just about 2 minutes before I was to be there and she told me that I needed to get there a little earlier to be sure I have time to get dressed and ready to go at my appointed time. I have always been ready and waiting on them but this is the first time they were ready for me as soon as I was 'dressed' in my shirt gown. I don't know why that hurt my feelings but it did. As I was lying down on the table getting zapped by those radiation rays, a couple of tears rolled down my cheeks and I couldn't even wiped them away since my arms are up above my head and I can't move. I usually don't 'cry' at something like that even if my feelings get hurt. Oh, well.....I was quite tired this morning so maybe that was part of it. Larry hasn't set his clock back so he forgot and set his alarm to go off at 4 am instead of 5 am so it woke me up and I couldn't go back to sleep. ( I took a little morning nap today)

Today at radiation, it was doctor day. My doctor assured me that I will get burnt eventually. Oh, great......I keep praying and hoping that I won't get burned. lol. He said that I will probably burned a little higher too especially since it has probably been exposed to sun before. I didn't realize I might get burned that high up. So far, no redness.....yea!!!! He also said that I will be taking 33 radiaiton treatments. Okay, 27 more days. After I put on the aloe vera gel at bedtime, my nightgown gets stuck to my skin. That won't be good if I am burned. Will have to be sure I give it time to dry before putting on my nightgown.

Last night I went to a ladies group that just started. It's a time for prayer, singing, and reading scripture. I didn't really know anyone there but guess it's a good way to meet new people. The lady leading it knows who I am and her daughter works for my onocologist so I see her all the time. Anyway, she asked me to share what's going on in my life and where I am in my cancer treatment. We had prayed via telephone earlier for another lady who has breast cancer. As I shared with these ladies, I realized that God has blessed me by me having cancer. I wouldn't wish this on anyone but I do feel blessed. God works through whatever situation we go through and makes it into a good, blessed situation. I have drawn closer to Him, to others, and have been blessed by people I wouldn't have dreamed would be there for me. These ladies gathered around me to pray for me by laying there hands on me and praying. It was so sweet.

Today I visited with my friend that had cancer 3 years ago so I asked her what it was like for her when she completed her treatment. I wanted to compare her experience to what I read in the book I have been reading. Of course, she is still on treatment for she's on oral medication for 5 years and that medication has side effects so still has to deal with that. I will be taking oral medication too for 5 years but a different one than she is taking. But when done with radiation, she felt like celebrating and glad that was behind her. Of course, it takes time to recover. People think that as soon as treatments are done that you will be feeling like yourself before cancer but it takes months to really recover completely. So, my friends who know me, don't expect me to be the same as before. However, I really haven't stopped doing too much--just here and there I might not have done things so I don't think I will have trouble getting back to normal but of course, I'm not done with radiation either so maybe it will take time to recover from that. We'll take one day at a time, okay!!!! :) Thanks for your prayers and love.....

John 14:1 Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, trust also in me.

No comments: