Friday, November 6, 2009

Radiation day 9 plus dr's visit

Psalm 91:1-2 He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadows of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.

Today was a busy day medical wise....first, I went to see my onocologist. My blood count is all normal for the first time --red blood count was better than when I first started chemo. Praise God!!! I found out that I will be taking the oral anti-estrogen (hormonal) medication right after I finish radiation. I have read about the side effects of that medication so not looking forward to taking it especially right before Christmas but I will be taking it for 5 years so might as well get used to it. I still have to see the doctor a couple more times when it's time to take Herceptin but then it will go to every other month. I won't be getting the blood work in between my appointments but only the day before. Yea!!! it's a wonder my vein has held up all these months. Because of my blood clot, they should really use only my left arm and so they use the same vein each time. It is so nice to know that things are settling down. After my doctor's appt., I rushed downstairs to radiation and got my treatment then went to the chemo clinic. Luckily,all of this was in the same building. I had Herceptin and they were able to infuse it in one hour. So far, radiaiton is going fine and I'm not showing any redness. I thought it might be turning some red yesterday but there wasn't any redness today. The PA did tell me that Herceptin will probably give me fatigue, otherwise not any other side effects. I was really tired today so when I got home, I quickly did a little laundry and spelling with Brandon then I laid down to take a nap while they ate lunch. The nap helped me get through the rest of the day but I'm already tired again and it's only 8 pm. I think the combination of the radiation and Herceptin is getting to me. I hate feeling tired but I know it is part of this path I have to cover. It won't last forever which is what I have to keep telling myself.

Last night I went to the Survivor Sister meeting. My surgeon (and friend) was the guest speaker. I found out all kinds of information that I didn't know. One is that there is no test to say that you are cured from breast cancer. There are some cancers like colon cancer that after 5 years, they say you are cured but that doesn't work for breast cancer. Breast cancer can come back anytime even like 18 years later. Of course as the years go by without reoccurrence of cancer, the lesser chance it will come back but you just never know. That means women that had breast cancer have to be diligent to be on their guard such as doing self breast examinations and getting mammograms. I have people asking me if I am cured or when will I have tests to find out if I my cancer is gone. I can say that at this moment my cancer is gone but I can never say I am cured. But, this is not a worry for me. I have put my life in God's hands and will trust Him completely. Whatever He wills for me, I will accept. I know He loves me and will be with me no matter what. Thanks for your prayers.

Isaiah 4:10 So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

No comments: