Tuesday, October 27, 2009

1st radiation treatment

Romans 8:28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

Today was my first radiaton treatment. They assigned me a dressing room and I have my own locker in there to put my clothes and purse. Inside the locker is my 'gown shirt' to wear. It is long sleeve, looks quilted, has buttons that go in the front and short like a jacket. I put that on then wait in a waiting room right next to the dressing rooms. My nurse is named 'Kim' and she is really sweet. I don't know if I will have her every day or what but should find out soon since I go again tomorrow. They put me in this cold huge room with a huge funny looking machine. The bed that I lie down on is very narrow and of course, hard. The hardest part is lying still with arms above your head. They first took some x-rays to be sure they were in the correct place. This man (I forgot his name) drew a large circle on me with a black marker--will wash off eventually. It's kind of high up so have to be careful what type of shirt I'm wearing. lol. Larry says i can tell people that I have a tatoo--lol. Then the man taped a wire on me to measure the radiation. They won't have to do that each time nor the x-rays. The radiation itself did not take long to give. They do it at 2 different angles. Turns out that on Tuesdays, it is doctor day. Everyone sees the doctor on Tuesdays and we can see him on other days if we need to or have a question. So, I saw the doctor and I asked him if the radiation rays are getting both the tumor site and mammary lymph node site and he said yes. He drew me a picture of where the rays are going. It's a little different location than most women due to the lymph node. Then i asked about wearing a bra. He said whatever I am comfortable in wearing is okay. Towards the end of the treatment period, I might find it better without a bra but it's up to me. He said each person is different on how their skin is affected but he is fine with me wearing a bra. Yea!!! So, we'll just take each day as it comes. When I got home, I put on the aloe vera gel right away. I am going to put it on again before going to bed. I go for radiaiton treatment again tomorrow at 1 pm. I have a weird schedule this week but next week, I will be going each day at 9 am except on thursdays --then I'll go at 2:50 (because on Thursdays I am already in town most of the afternoon but wanted mornings on the other days). Thanks for your prayers today. I was a little nervous not knowing exactly what was going to happen but they put you at ease right away and were so good at explaining everything they are doing. Oh, the man took a picture of the markings on my breast and I said "hope you aren't planning to put that on the internet" and he thought I was serious at first but I told him I was just joking. Then he laughed. :) While waiting, I talked with an older woman who was complaining about how she found out about her cancer, and the care of people, etc. I sat and listened compassionately. Maybe God can use me there to be a listener and whatever else--comforter, etc. Just pray that I will not miss opportunities to be used by God. I am going through this for a purpose and one purpose may be to help others in similar situtions. Love you all.....

II Corinthians 1:3-4 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.

No comments: