Monday, October 12, 2009

Washington DC--here I come

Joshua 1:9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.

It is late on Monday night and I am packed and ready to go for my trip to Washington DC. By the time you read this, I will be on my way or there already!!! I've been a little nervous (really too busy to think much of my trip) but I know God is with me. I've been practicing my speech on my story. I don't need notes for I know my story well. Just hope I don't stumble over my words or totally blank out when it's my turn to talk. I really think I'll be okay. My biggest 'fear' is getting around the airports and making my connecting flights and finding the metro, etc. A cold front will be coming in so I dread having to walk in it but I'm sure it will be fine. I have to walk to my hotel from the metro and I'm carrying a heavy purse and a small suitcase. The neat thing about this trip is that I bought a new outfit, new light jacket, and bra. Always fun to have a good reason to buy new clothes. Thanks for your prayers as I travel and tell my story.

My daughter, Sarah, went to a drama conference in the Dallas area last week. One day they had a couple of authors speaking and one lady , Karla Morton, (she's the 2010 Texas Poet Laureate) spoke about her newest book which tells of her journey through breast cancer by using poetry. Sarah and her friend went to this lady's table intending to buy the book for me. She thought the cost was $10 but turns out it was $20 and she didn't have the money to buy it. She told Karla that her mom has breast cancer too and wanted to buy her the book but couldn't now but could she have her card so she could order it later. Karla told her that she wanted to give me the book and she signed it saying "To Kelly, Be strong sister--I hope you smile every day". My daughter was really touched and so am I!!! What a sweet lady. The book is called "Redefining Beauty" by Karla Morton. The poems are great--so expresses what I am going through and feeling at times. Isn't God good? The one thing I have really gotten out my journey is that through everything--God is good!!! Let's praise Him!!!

By the way, I am still healthy--no flu nor cold. One son has a slight cold and Sarah is getting sick too. She went to the dr. but she said that Sarah doesn't have the flu at this time but could be early stage. I did spend some time with her (she lives out of the home now) for she misses having mom take care of her. Hope I don't get sick from her but I think I'll be okay. Love you all. Hope everyone else is staying healthy--so much sickness going around.

Psalm 31:24 Be strong and take heart, all you hope in the Lord.

No comments: