Friday, October 30, 2009

radiation day 3

Nahum 1:7 The Lord is good, a refuge in times of trouble, He cares for those you trust in Him.

Yesterday I had my 3rd treatment of radiation. I got there at 3 pm and there were 2 ladies in the waiting room. It turns out that the computer for the machine went down and they were behind. One lady in the waiting room was on her 33rd treatment and today will be her last. She said that in all those 33 days, this was the 2nd time she had seen someone else in the waiting room. She usually waits 5 minutes or less and then it's her turn. The other lady was on her 7th day of treatment and she had never seen anyone in the waiting room. Here it was my 3rd treatment and the 2nd time I had seen someone in the waiting room. I just thought it was the norm. Once I got in the treatment room, it didn't take long at all. They didn't have to put any wires on me this time. My favorite nurse, Kim , was not my nurse that day--just Robert and Milton but they are nice too. While in the waiting room, the first lady said she was on an antibiotic cream for her burns. Yikes. The 2nd lady told me that she wasn't red yet but has been putting on the aloe vera gel 3 times a day. She heard that it was usually midway before you notice any redness. I forgot to bring any aloe vera gel with me to town and here I was staying in town until 8 pm. I went grocery shopping after my treatment so I bought another bottle of aloe vera gel (figured I'll need another bottle anyway) and then I went into the bathroom at church when I dropped off the boys for basketball practice to put on the gel. I was able then to get the gel on twice for the day. My treatment today is at 11:20 am.

I went to the library yesterday and decided to look for any breast cancer book that wasn't there before. I found a great one for what to do after you are done with treatments. It is called "After Breast Cancer: A common sense guide to life after treatments". I started reading it especially where they talk about your hair growing back, etc. It says that your hair grows an inch a month and usually is curly like a sheep or poodle but straightens out more as the hair lengthens. The book says that the eyebrows and eyelashes grow back in faster and also hair on the legs and underarms. . I have to admit that it has been nice not to shave my legs or my armpits. But I won't mind doing it again for that shows me that things are gettting back to normal.

Gotta run, my walking partner just called and we are going walking. I will let you know more about what I am learning in the book in the next few days. Thanks for your prayers. Just pray that I will have the energy I need to get through each day. I am so tired these days but so busy too. Love you all.

Micah 7:7 But as for me, I watch in hope for the Lord, I wait for God my Savior, my God will hear me.

No comments: