Friday, October 16, 2009

Support group

Jeremiah 31:13 I will turn their mourning into gladness; I will give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow.

Last night I went to our breast cancer support group called Survivor Sisters. This is Breast Cancer Awareness Month so we had a celebration time with cake, fruit, punch, etc and door prizes. The radiologist of the women's imaging center and one of her workers there are the ones who started and run our support group. I talked to the radiologist and asked her if she knew Dr. Harms, the one I met in DC who pioneered the breast MRI and she said yes, she knew of him. I told her that I rode in the cab with him and at that time had no idea who he was. I wished I had known so I could have thanked him for pioneeering the breast MRI which I believe has been used by God to help me live longer here on earth. I met 2 ladies there who have been survivors for 2-3 years and they shared with me some of the things I can look forward to. Doesn't sound all that great for after I finish with the herceptin, I will be taking an oral medication and apparently it has all kinds of side effects such as bone and joint pain. I get that with the chemo I am now taking but this pill is a daily thing for 5 years!!!! Yuck.....just when I thought things were getting better. Oh, well....each person is different so we'll see how it affects me. One lady had gone through radiation and said it was a breeze but just a nuisance in having to go every day. She told me to be sure to start putting on the Aloe Vera gel the first day and not wait until it gets red. She only got burned in one little spot. Radiation is next and maybe today I'll find out when I start.

Well, today I am going in for my last chemo. Time to celebrate!!!!! I am so happy to get this part of my cancer treatment done with. I will still be going to the chemo clinic to recieve my herceptin for many more months but at least it doesn't take too long nor does it bother me. Thanks for your prayers and support during my chemotherapy. My mom is coming in today to be with me for my last treatment and then she'll take me home. How sweet--thanks Mom.

II Corinthians 4:16,18 Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

No comments: