Friday, May 15, 2009

Onocologist visit

Psalm 32:7 You are my hiding place, you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance.

Finally I got to see the onocologist and we have a plan for my life---at least for the next few years!!! It was a long day today for I saw the dr., had blood work done, echocardiogram done, chemo lesson, then ran some errands and grocery shop (I shop for 2 weeks worth so it's alot and takes time). Okay, you are wondering when do I start chemo and what will I be taking. I will start on Tuesday, May 19!!! Yes, that is just aournd the corner. Larry is really busy that day at work so Sarah, my daughter is going to take me and maybe bring me home too. Larry said he'll visit me during lunch and bring me something to eat. I go see the dr. at 10 am on Tuesday , he prescribes my dosage according to my bloodwork, then I walk across the hall to the chemo room to take chemo. The first treatment will last about 4 hours because they run the chemo in slowly to check for any allergic reactions to the chemo. After the first treatment, it should last about 2 hours. I will be taking Adriamycin and Cytoxan for 4 treatments, three weeks apart. Adriamycin will make me lose my hair for sure--so goodbye hair--:(, It's just hair and will grow back. Better to lose the hair than my life. After those 4 treatments, then I will be taking 4 treatments of Taxol for 3 weeks apart. I probably will start taking a medication called Herceptin when I start Taxol. Herceptin is given IV just as the others are, but I will be taking Herceptin for a year!!!! It doesn't have many side effects so my hair can grow back, etc. Herceptin and Adriamycin can both cause future heart problems so that is why I had an echocardiogram today then I will have one every 3 monthsl. If at any time they see some problems with my heart, the medication is stopped and I won't be restarting it. After the Herceptin, I will be put on a hormone drug called Arimidex for about 5-10 years. It is a pill--yea!!!! Each person is different on side effects but of course nausea is a very common one so they will be giving me anti-nausea meds IV before chemo and then pills to take at home. The other common ones are fatigue, sores in mouth, low blood counts, & diarrhea/constipation, So, we'll just have to see how I respond. I am praying that the side effects will be minimal and I will just breeze through this!!!! Or least have very little problems.....I will be having blood work done 10 days after chemo to see how low the blood count went down. He says it's good for it to go down some---show that it is working. After my appt. with the dr. , I went across the hall to the chemo room and talked to a nurse there who gave me tons of resources, etc. and talked to me about how it all works. There was a lady sitting in the chemo chair next to where I was sitting that was just getting started for her first chemo, so I eavesdropped a bit to see what the nurse was saying. I can take the computer with me so I will try to check on facebook, and maybe blog while I'm having chemo---cool. I can watch movies too or read, or have friends and family visit. They want it to be a positive environment and for you to feel as comfortable as possible. they provide hard candy right at the chairs and even share whatever people bring them (doughnuts, candy, etc) and I can bring whatever plus they have drinks, etc. I asked the dr. if I can still have sugar for I hear some say that you are not allowed sugar but he said it's fine as long as it is in moderation. They want us to eat as healthy as possible which I'm doing better at---just bought lots more fresh veg. and fruits plus cutting down red meat. This is getting long enough so I'll close for today. Thanks for your prayers. I am ready to start but of course, dread it too. Oh, well.....that is my lot in life for now. God is with me and will help me through all of this. Love you all.

Psalm 34:8 Taste and see that the Lord is good, blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him.

2 comments:

Rody and Wendy Chesser said...

Kelly:
Thank you for sharing this with us and know you will be prayed through this. I am a fellow SACHSA mom and not sure that I have met you. Nonetheless, I am a sister in Christ and will be praying for you.

LisaShaw said...

Stopped by to say you were on my heart today. Praying that GOD'S divine Hand remain in all areas of your precious life. You are special to HIM!