Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Preparations

Psalm 9:18 Those who know your name will trust in You, for You, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek you.

It is two days before I see the onocologist to find out about chemo--what kind and when I start. I am ready to see him yet I get a little nervous. My life is about to change and I hate change. I hate starting new things at times, and since it's the unknown...it makes it harder. I have been reading and researching so that I will be better prepared but have these little silly questions like what does the chemo room look like, do I sit in a chair or a lie in a bed, what do I take with me, can I have people with me, can I eat, etc. Do they have classes like I hear about such as chemo class or the look better classes by the American Cancer Society. Then of course, I wonder about the side effects....I know each person is different so I wonder, what will I experience and what is going to help me through this (medications, etc). I dread going through chemo but know it's something that I need to do. I know that God is the one who is really going to help me through all of this. He promises to be with me and promises to protect me. I will trust in Him. I need to sit down and write down the questions I want to ask the dr. and the nurse. It really helped to have questions prepared when I visited with the radiation onocologist. I have all these questions in my mind but they need to be put down on paper. I am feeling better each day but still experience some pain when I overdo. I can't straighten out my right arm above my head but I can stretch it and use it to reach something. It's coming..... I'm trying to be good in eating better but I do love sweets. Sugar isn't good for cancer patients but God gave me such a sweet tooth!!! lol. I have cut down quite a bit in sweets (not that I was eating that much sweet stuff anyway) but I do crave it. I am trying to eat more fresh vegetables and fruit. I hear that asparagus is good for you and so will start eating that more. I have never cooked it but I do like eating it. No one else in my family really likes it. Well, keep praying for me. I will write again on Friday after I see the dr. My appt. is at 9 am. Larry is going along. He also plans to go with me to my first chemo treatment. His work has been so supportive and lets him off without any problems. I have recruited a friend to go with me when I go wig shopping. That should be fun. I have looked at short wig hairstyles. I don't really like short hair but maybe it would be a good idea to have a short hairstyle so that when my hair starts to grow back, I can quit wearing the wig and people will be used to me in short hair. Thanks to all of you for your encouragement--I love you.

Psalm 34:4 I sought the Lord and He answered me, He delivered me from all my fears.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kelly, I am so happy, first of all, regarding the fluid results. One less thing to worry about. I am glad the rest went well. Yes, write all those questions down. I started doing the same thing whenever I went to the doctor or took the children. Seems once you are there they do all the talking and you forget what you wanted to ask. Will be praying that the oncologist will be led by our Heavenly Father in deciding the best chemo for you. Praying for your daily peace....Yvonne