Friday, May 8, 2009

post-op day1

II Kings 20:5 I have heard your prayer and seen your tears; I will heal you!

I had the port-a-cath inserted yesterday and all went well. We decided to go ahead and do it under general anesthesia even though I could have been just sedated but the surgeon prefers that way so that I would be absolutely still and it's such a short procedure that I wouldn't need much medication nor did I have the intubation tube put down my throat. All went well and the port is in place. Yea!!! Now they will be able to use it for chemo and lab can draw blood from it. Too bad they couldn't have used it yesterday for after surgery they went ahead and drained the fluid from the lung lining. I had to have some blood work first and the lab tech stuck me 4 times!!! I was stuck twice for the IV prior to surgery. They can only use my right arm for needle sticks since I had the axillary nodes biopsied a few weeks ago. After I recovered some from day surgery which went well at first, then they took me down to radiology for the fluid drainage (thoracentesis). I got sick and vomited on the way down (I had a basin with me to throw up in). I think the Morphine they gave me for pain made me sick. They drained 450 cc (almost half a liter) of fluid from my left lung lining. It will be tested and I should hear by Monday what it is. I am praying that it's not cancer. I feel better now on the left side. I've been having pain there but I contributed it nerve damage pain. The pain is less so maybe some of that pain was from the fluid. My lungs tolerated the procedure well and there were no complications. Praise God!!! As I sat up after the procedure, I threw up quite a bit!!! Poor techs and nurse but they were good and supportive. Finally went home around 5 pm. Just laid in the recyliner chair all evening and night and today!!! I felt some nausea off and on but never vomited again. Have eaten some but not much. I really don't like the pain meds so wanted only tylenol (can't have Ibruprofen for 24 hours) but we couldn't find any Tylenol in our house. Larry went to town today and bought some so finally got some at 3 pm. I don't hurt much when just sitting here but when I get up, oh, does it hurt. I'm sure it will be better tomorrow. It's not worse than the lumpectomy as I heard that it might be. I will be able to take off the dressing tomorrow and shower. Did take a little sponge bath and got most of the betadine stuff off--boy, that felt good, however, I was some dizziness being up which made me nauseated too. I was quite cranky with my family today (tired and in pain). I wanted the laptop computer (my daughter's) but my husband started downloading stuff which took forever. I was an unhappy camper--had to apologize to everyone. I need to be more patient and kind. :) Thanks for your prayers. I had such peace going into surgery--my blood pressure was even down!!! :) By the time I had the throacentesis, my blood pressure was high but probably due to pain. I'm okay now. Love you all.

Colossians 3:15-17 Let the peace of God rule in your hearts....and be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom and as you sing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kelly,
I am glad to know you are all right. You might even be breathing a bit better after the thoracentesis. Just take it easy on yourself and listen to your body when you are tired. I am praying for you daily, my friend.
Love, Gail