Monday, May 18, 2009

Wig Party

Ephesians 3:20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever.

I have been busy the past couple of days preparing for the days following chemo (which is tomorrow). I cleaned house yesterday and today I bought hay & feed for the horses, got my youngest son's hair cut, watered the indoor & ourdoor plants, and finished cleaning plus went to find wigs and head coverings. I called the American Cancer Society and it turns out they have a room with drawers full of wigs and shelves full of hats, scarves, headcoverings. My friend, Marnie, and my 19 year old daughter, Sarah , went with me. We had so much fun trying on wigs. Sarah has experience with wigs from being involved with the theatre (she's a drama major) so she taught us how to put on wigs, etc. We took pictures and just acted silly at times. They made this a fun time for me. I got 3 wigs which are all short hairstyles and blonde. They need to be styled. One has long bangs and the other two have short bangs. We decided that I don't really look all that great in curly hair so the wigs are wavy but not too curly. I found 10 headcoverings of different styles and colors. The Cancer Society have a program called "Look good....Feel better" where they style the wigs and teach you how to use cosmetics to make you feel better about yourself and your new look. I have the name of the person who does this which she does on a one-on-one basis. My friend knows her and said she is really nice so that is helpful. I will call tomorrow morning before I leave for chemo to set up an appt. next week to have my session. I had fun modeling my wigs for my family--it was funny to see their expressions for the wigs aren't really styled yet so they do look funky. hahaha I did find out that I may not be able to donate my hair to 'locks of love' since I'll have chemicals in my hair due to the chemo. I wasn't going to cut it until next week. Oh, well.......now I don't have to cut off so much at one time. The lady at the cancer office suggested we have a shaving party once my hair starts falling out, I'll have to consider it. Okay, tomorrow is the big day for me. My husband was able to get off work at 9:30 so he'll meet me at the dr's. office at 10 am. After I see the dr., I will go to the chemo room and get my chemo. I will have my computer with me so maybe I'll wirte then. Thanks for your prayers. I was nervous this morning but have been busy so really have not had time to think about it but night time is coming--I pray I sleep well tonight. Love you all.....

Proverbs 17:17 A friend loves at all times....
Proverbs 17: 22 A cheerful heart is good medicine.......

3 comments:

MAAM said...

Will be praying for you Kelly.

Anonymous said...

Praying for you kelly.

Yvonne

KK said...

We are praying for strength and peace and comfort for you during this time. please let us know if there is ANYTHING in addition to praying that we can do.
Blessings,
KK Jones