Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Great day

Psalm 73:28 But as for me, it is good to be near God. I have made the Sovereign Lord my refuge; I will tell of all your deeds.

Yesterday I went out of town for the first time since starting chemo. I drove Brandon to a golf tournament about 2 1/2 hours away. I had planned to explore the little town but instead, I stayed and rented a golf cart. I've never watched a golf game, nor drove a golf cart, or even cared about golf. However, I did it and actually had fun (and learned some things about golf). The golf course had tons of large pecan trees so I would drive from shade to shade to keep out of the heat. I didn't even bring sunscreen for I wasn't planning on being in the sun. Luckily, it was only 92 degrees and it didn't feel hot. I made friends with an older lady who was with her grandson and she was so sweet. I told her I had cancer but we didn't really talk about it but she was concerned that I didn't get too hot. I'm sure she figured I was wearing a wig but never mentioned it. Speaking of the wig---it was breezy so the 'hair' got messed up --lol. I feel it is so fake but just had to go on with it. It fits tight on my head so was not afraid of it blowing off. Can you imagine the gasps of people if my wig blew off. lol That is a funny picture but hope it never, ever happens. My bald head is quite white!!! As soon as we got in the car to go home, I had Brandon take off my wig and quickly slipped on a comfortable denim hat that my friend, Melissa gave me. Figured no one could tell I was bald while driving. I had worn that wig for 9 hours and was quite tired of it. I wore it again today as I ran lots of errands. The librarian thought I had such a cute new hairstyle that made me look younger. lol. I didn't tell her that I had cancer so she probably has no idea it was a wig. Then I saw someone I knew at Academy store but I don't think she could place who I was. I don't know her well enough to really say much. I did order another wig so can't wait for it to come. Probably will have to get it styled too. I talked to my onocologist's receptionist today about finding the cranial prosthetic code for insurance to pay for the really cute wig here in town. She thinks the nurse might be able to get it for me and will let me know on thursday when I come in to get blood drawn.

Today I had my coumadin level checked. It keeps coming down which means my blood is getting thicker. It's barely in the range the dr. wants it in but every time I come in, they up my dosage but my levels keep coming down. The nurse is a little worried and we can't figure what is causing it to be thicker. Last week I was sick with chemo so didn't eat hardly any vegetables which could cause my blood to be thicker so obviously it is not food nor any meds for I had them okay anything I take. So, my dosage was upped again and hopefully next week it will be okay.

I go out of town again tomorrow for another golf tournament--only an hour away this time. Then on Thursday, I am going to my mother's for a night and that is 2 hours away. Thanks for all of your prayers. God is good to me. I am feeling great except for my tonuge---feels like it's been cut--and my taste buds aren't quite normal yet. I am happy that I have good days. I used to think that cancer patients on chemo were sick all the time but now, I have found out by experience that is not true. We do have good days in between the chemo. I am lucky for some ladies in my support group take chemo every other week so they only get one good week. Love you all.......

Every challenge is an opportunity , a chance to grow, a lesson to learn, a part of life.

1 comment:

MAAM said...

I'm so glad you wore your hat and liked it. I've been holed up in my laundry room when I've not been schooling or actually being a responsible mom for several days stripping wallpaper and painting it and am just now catching up on your blog.

You still sound very, very busy!