Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Cancer like an Earthquake

Psalm 62:2 He alone is my Rock, and my salvation; He is my fortress, I will not be shaken.

A friend (one of my college roomates), Jackie, shared with me a neat illustration to encourage me during this battle fighting cancer. With her permission, I am going to share it with you. You can apply this to any hard time in your life.

"This may be one of the Isaiah 54:10 events. I call them life earthquakes.They are seldom fun, but they mark us. The verse says '"though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace removed," says the LORD who has compassion on you.' There are just some events that become markers in life. You mark time based on before "X" happened and after "X"happened. When a life earthquake occurs--after the quaking stops--we look around and find that life looks so different. Some of the things that we assumed would be the same forever are just not the same. The mountain we saw outside the window of our world is no longer there. Life looks different. LIfe IS different. But the most wonderful, encouraging part is that no matter what changes in our lives, the one constant that we can count on eternally is God and His unfailing love for us. He is a covenant God. He keeps His promises. He has compassion on you. He will give you the peace you need to weather this earthquake.."

Proverbs 14:30 A heart at peace gives life to the body....

1 comment:

Trish said...

I like this a LOT. It is so true, but I have never heard it expressed so well.