Thursday, April 30, 2009

Radiation onocologist visit

Exodus 23:25 Worship the Lord your God, and his blessing will be on your food and water. I will take away sickness from among you.

Today I had my radiation onocologist appointment which was in the cancer treatment center where radiation therapy is done. Larry, my husband, went with me. We first watched a video about radiation therapy which was quite informative. Then he came to visit with us. I liked him right away for he was pleasant, not in a hurry, and made sure we understood and was willing to answer whatever questions I had. He seemed gentle too when he examined me. He even gave me some idea about chemo too like how long and maybe some of the medications I might receive but we won't know for sure unitl I visit with the chemo onocologist which won't be until May 15. Radiation therapy will start several weeks after I finish normal chemo. Talked about the side effects--mainly irritated, redden skin and he said I could use aloe vera gel to help and hydrocortizone if itchy. Said I could have some nausea , dry cough, slight loss of appetite , and fatigue. I read a discussion board last night on fatigue with radiation therapy and the majority mentioned that they experienced extreme fatigue, worse than chemo fatigue. Yikes.... I get tired already without anything else causing fatigue. I don't like to sit around and not do things so that's going to be a hard time for me. And I figure that I will be taking radiation right when it's time to start homeschooling again for the fall semester. Luckily my boys are able to do so much on their own. Also, the dr. and I discussed about getting a 2nd opinion from MD Anderson Hospital and he said that was fine but he did say that more than likely since I have a common type of cancer, that they would recommend the same treatment that the doctors here would. I have decided not to go to MD Anderson. I am confident that I will get a good treatment plan here and I am willing to do whatever it takes to eradicate any lurking cancer cells in my body. I want to be "cured" for years to come. Oh, some of you have asked whether the estrogen receptors and HER-2 were positive or negative. I found out today that they are both positive which is good thing. The progesterone receptors are in the middle--neither positive nor negative but low but he says that won't matter (whatever that means :) Today I bought some new clothes to wear so I will be comfortable when taking chemo, etc. It felt good to go shopping for myself!!!! Physically I am feeling pretty good today--a little tired for I went shopping for a long time (groceries mainly). I bought several items that I've read that I might need when taking chemo...getting things ready!!!!!

Isaiah 41:10 Do not be afraid for I am with you; Do not look anxiously about for I AM your
God; I will strengthen you , surely I will help you; Surely I will uphold you with my righteous hand.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Kelly...am always praying for you. This is so heartfelt...I can't even imagine being in your shoes. You are a great example for others out there. Just because you have been dealt a card that is not pretty, does not mean you sit and shrivel up. Being informed of the upcoming is one of the best things you have done for yourself. I know this will help in so many ways. I had a sister-in-law who had breast cancer as well. There came a time when she decided to give it all up and chose another route of care. Her number one mistake was not being informed. Thus causing her untimely death. Yvonne

Kelly said...

I am so sorry to hear about your sister-in-law. How sad that she gave up. I want to do whatever it takes to beat this cancer!!! Thanks again for following my journey and your encouragement.