Friday, April 24, 2009

Lung pain and appointment

Zephaniah 3:17 The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing.

Yesterday afternoon, I started experiencing some new pain--lower left lung area, especially when taking a deep breath. I knew that I had a slight pneumonthorax (air in lung lining) due to my surgery when getting that intramammary lymph node out which was attached to the lung lining. I wasn't too concerned at first. Also, I've been doing the arm exercises and had been out doing errands in town. During the night, I had some trouble breathing when lying flat so got up around 3 am to sit in the recliner chair to help make it more easier to breathe. Today, I noticed that I was still having some sharp pain when taking deep breaths and a little short of breath at times, so I called the doctor (talked to his nurse) . I went in after lunch to have a chest X-ray to be sure nothing was going on. The doctor called me late afternoon to say that there didn't seem to be a pneumothorax but was concerned about a pulmonary embolism (clot in your lung) but he thought that I was too active to get that plus I wasn't having any leg or calf pain. Anyway, for now, I'm just to watch it and if it gets worse over the weekend, to go to the ER. I'm actually feeling some better now--been resting quite a bit (well, some resting--lol). Maybe just exercising is causing some irritation.
When I talked to the nurse, I asked about my onocologist appointment. Turns out it is to be May 15. We both thought that was later than we wanted so she asked the doctor if he would talk to the onocologist to see if we could get my appt. earlier. Turns out that he did this afternoon. The onocologist is very swamped with new cancer patients. When you see the onocologist, he orders some tests to be done and a port-a-cath to be inserted by a surgeon before chemo so they decided that I should go ahead and get these tests done (bone scan and CT scan of abdomen & pelvis) and have the port inserted so that when I do have my appt. with onocologist, we can get started on chemo. Sounds like a plan. You may be wondering, "what is a port-a-cath". It is a device that is inserted under the skin close to your collar bone area where tubes are inserted in your big vein so that IV medications can be injected without having to use a new vein each time and worrying about chemo leaking into the skin if IV was to dislodge while chemo infusing. Also, blood can be drawn from the port too so I don't have to be stuck each time. Insertion of the port is done under anesthesia and is day surgery. So, off to surgery I go again. I used to work as a nurse and even worked with cancer patients (28 years ago) and so know what the ports are about. Today, while worrying about this lung pain, I just kept repeating scripture to myself knowing that I'm in God's hands plus I'm not going to worry about when I see the onocologist. God is in control and if I am to wait, then guess I'll just wait--there is a reason. I will know next week when all these tests and surgery is scheduled so I will just enjoy my weekend. Thanks to all for your prayers and cards and phone calls. I enjoy it all. :)

Psalm 138:7 Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you preserve my life.

No comments: