Saturday, April 4, 2009

The Following days after diagnosis

Isaiah 46:4 I am He, I am He who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you. (rescue me from cancer)

I feel so blessed by my family and friends who have been so encouraging by praying and sharing scripture with me. My wonderful sister and her son have sent me verse cards through the mail. Sure enjoyed those cards--really brightened my day. I am displaying throughout my house so that I am constantly reminde that God is right here with me. I am still feeling so much at peace. It's a peace that is hard to describe but I know that it's only from God. I used to be a worrier but I've not worried about this for I know I will be healed!!! Thanks everyone who has been praying for me. God hears---the effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much--James 5:16

After my diagnosis, I had a MRI to see if there were any other cancer present in my breasts or lymph nodes. There is a suspicious enlargement of an internal mammary lymph node. This is a place where lymph nodes are not usually taken out but I will have it taken out when the tumor is taken out. The radiologist did a sonogram to be sure she could find that lymph node for when I got to surgery, she will with the aid of the sonogram, slip a wire into the lymph node and tumor so that it will guide the surgeon to it. I saw the surgeon on April 1. I am so thankful that I only have to have a lumpectomy (surgery on April 14) with biopsies of lymph nodes under my arm (that means 2 incisions). If the internal mammary lymph node is cancerous, then I will likely have to have chemotherapy but if not, then only radiation. No matter what, I will have radiation therapy which is standard after a lumpectomy but it won't happen until the incision is pretty much healed. I am not looking forward to either one of those treatments, especially the cheomotherpay. I've a couple of people ask if I wanted to try a different route but I decided no for I am young enough, healthy enough to withstand the chemo plus I don't want to risk my life for I want to see the kids grow up as I expressed in my last blog entry. I have started on multivitamins to give me a boost. I eat pretty healthy already--lots of fruits and vegetables. However, on April 2, I went to my first breast cancer support group (Sisters Survival) . The topic was on diet and I learned that there are some things I should cut down like beef and sugar. I love my sweets. Today I was eating some candy when I realized that this sugar is going straight to my tumor since tumors like sugar. Maybe if I keep thinking that way, I'll cut down on sugar. I don't want to feed the tumor.

Your light shall break forth like the morning, your healing shall spring forth speedily, and your righteousness shall go before you: the glory of the Lord shall be your rear guard.
Isaiah 58:8

1 comment:

Trish said...

I did not know tumors like sugar. Hmmm. I loved the verse at the top of this entry. God has certainly rescued me a lot lately. He's so good.