Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Surgery

Psalm 88:9 I call to you, O Lord, every day; I spread out my hands to you.

Surgery was yesterday and it was a long day. I had be there at 5:30 am. I slept pretty well but got up at 4:15-couldn't sleep anymore. After we checked in the hospital at 5:30, no one came in until 6:40 am. Wonder why we came in so early.... finally a nurse came and took vital signs, started my IV and asked tons of questions. Then I went down to nuclear medicine for the doctor injected some dye so he can find which lymph nodes to take out. Then the radiologist that did my biopsy came and she inserted a wire into the internal mammary node by using the sonogram. It hurt just a little. I talked to the radiologist about the node for she trained in a hospital where they took out these nodes. By the way, I'm the first patient here to have this node taken out in this hospital. My doctor has seen these nodes when working around the lungs but never had taken one out. He felt confident to do it. Otherwise, the radiologist was going to suggest that I went to another town. I'm glad he decided to do it for I am glad to be in my own town. I asked her if she had ever seen these enlarged nodes be something besides cancerous and she said that usually they were cancerous. My heart sank and was sad but i knew this could happen..... but we won't know for sure until the pathologist tests it. I will find out the results on Thursday afternoon. Anyway, i went back to the hospital room around 9 am and then didn't go to surgery until noon. The doctor had problems with his first patient so that is why we had to wait so long. I was so tired since i didn't get much sleep the night before. My mom, my husband, and his mom were there with me. My dad was around but my stepmom was having surgery too and was on the same floor (strange that we were both scheduled the exact day). During surgery, the doctor had some trouble getting the node out for it was attached to the lung lining and to the mammary artery. He had to tie off the mammary artery which means that later in life, if I was to need heart bypass surgery, they couldn't use that artery but there are others to use. Because the node was attached to the lung lining, some air got into the lung lining which means I have a samll pneumothorax but it will be absorbed so no problem. He didn't think he got all the tumor at first so went back in and got more. He feels he got it all now. Plus he took 3 lymph nodes under my arm. I have 2 incisions. I am not in too much pain--one pain pill works. After surgery, I was in pain and nauseous. I did not want to get dressed to go home but my husband kept pushing me to get dressed--I was getting frustrated --lol--but I did need to get dressed. We fianlly got home around 6:30. I couldn't lie down on my bed so decided to sleep in the recliner chair in the living room. I slept there all night--it worked. I will try tonight to sleep in bed. Everytime I got up to go to the bathroom, I threw up ---not fun trying to urinate and throw up at the same time. lol. I feel better today. Well, this is so long....but I know that God was with me the whole time and I kept praying and recalling scripture all day. God is good and things could have been worse but I know that everyone who prayed helped me through this day. Thanks. I feel so blessed with friends and family who love me and have encouraged me.

Psalm 145 The Lord is good to all; he has compassion on all he has made.

1 comment:

Heather said...

So glad you are feeling better. Praying the results on Thursday will be cancer free.
Love you