Saturday, April 4, 2009

Diagnosed with Breast Cancer

Early March, I accidentally discovered a lump in my breast in the upper area. I knew I was late in getting a mammogram so I called that very day to schedule a mammogram & sonogram which was done on March 16. The radiologist told me that it was not a cyst--something I frequently have had in the past--so I needed to have a needle biopsy which was scheduled for March 24. A couple of days later, March 26, I was called to come in to hear my results of the biopsy. Since two radiologists had made comments that it looked glandular and thought it looked like it was caused by some kind of trauma, I figured that it was nothing to worry about. So I went alone. I was so surprised to find out it was cancer. I was a little teary-eyed but wanted to really listen to what the radiologist was telling me so tried my hardest to pay attention. The pathology report said that it looked like a medullary type of breast cancer which is rare but has a good prognosis. They gave me a good size book to read about breast cancer. (which I read in a few days) I asked God immediately to help me through this and to give me peace for I know He will walk with me no matter what. He won't give me anything I can't handle; for with Him we can handle anything. (Phil. 4:13) I couldn't get in touch with my husband for 2 1/2 hours since he was working where there were no phones allowed. I called my mom, my sister, and then my daughter. I cried some when I said the word "cancer". But then, I got in control and really tried to smile, laugh, and have a positive attitude. I know that I must have this kind of attitude to get me through the tough days ahead. I'm sure my husband was quite shocked but he handled it okay too. He was a little worried of course, so his boss let him have off all this past week which has been wonderful. He's been so good to me. I think my calmness has helped him. My daughter took it hard at first for I think I scared her when I cried but then I was able to laugh and hopefully, she's okay. The boys took it okay when I told them that I'm not going to die --can't get rid of me that fast!!! lol. I love my family and I do want to stick around for many years to see them grow up, get married and have kids.

1 comment:

Trish said...

If anyone can go through cancer with a Godly attitude, it will be you. You amaze me, and I'm so glad that your faith is in your walk and not just your talk. Thank you for sharing this journey. I promise to pray and plan to see you soon. Love, Trish